Powered by Blogger.
RSS

Planting days are here

Our last frost date was May 10th, but the weather sure didn't feel like it! I decided to wait until this week to plant, and I'm glad I did. We had a light frost on Sunday night. But the temps are showing in the 80s for the rest of the week and I think the danger has passed.

Every year is a learning experience. This year I learned about what NOT to do when hardening off plants. I hardened one so bad it died! The cold frame is a nice place to keep plants overnight, since it protects them from frost, but that is it. Even while cracked wide open, the temps in there reached over 100 degrees F. Seedlings should be gradually adjusted to sunlight - start them in a sheltered shady area and then increase exposure to direct sun over days time. I just basically baked em. Yup. Live and learn, folks!

I planted one trellis with sugar baby watermelon and one with sugar pie pumpkins, two plants on each side. The pumpkins look a lot better than the watermelons! As with all the plants, I will give them a few weeks to see if they will make it in the garden. If not, our master gardener sale is coming up at the end of May and I will just purchase replacements.

I also planted some buttercrunch lettuce underneath the trellises to see how that does.




 Peppers: jalapeno, Orange Bell, Buran Red and Golden Treasure:

Tomatoes: 2 Stupice and 2 Amish Paste:

Didn't have garden space for this California Wonder green bell pepper, so I plunked it in an old coffee container filled with compost:


I also planted some Black Beauty Zucchini. I'm very curious to see how it does on the north side of the house.

In a few more weeks I'll finish my planting with the bush beans and cucumbers! Happy dance!

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment