Powered by Blogger.
RSS

April Garden Update 2013

It's May 2nd, so what better time then to post an update on the state-of-the-garden? This is what we've got after we made it through a cold April:

Seedlings are under the cold frame now, to "harden off":

Pretty wildflowers in bloom:

Compost on left, new melon/squash trellises on right and excess wood chips throughout:

That lovely monster on the right is my sage plant:

Our current raised beds. Topped off with compost, extra topsoil and a whole lotta mulch:

My greens have been planted. It's my first year trying kale and spinach. I moved the 3 inches of wood chip covering out of the way so I could plant my seeds directly into the soil. When they have come up to a decent size, I will recover them with the chips.

The greens are on the right and the strip of wood chips is where I plan to plant white cucumbers. I have a nifty trellis for them to grow over that my dad made for me. Stay tuned! To the left of the cucs I have planted  two squares of basil, one dill and will transplant my thyme to the fourth in a week or so.

Garlic that was planted in the fall:

These are my blueberries. It's sad. the one on the right is 3 years old. And 3 inches tall. Yup. You can't even tell it's there! The middle one is doing well. I planted it last year along with the one on the left. The one on the left used to be bigger than the middle one, but I think the bunnies ate half of it before I put some cages around them for the winter. :(

This is some organic plant food I purchased at Menards. I sprinkled some on everything I've planted so far. We'll see if it makes a difference. And my new nitrile gloves from Costco are just as wonderful as I'd dreamed they'd be. Sigh. :)

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment