Powered by Blogger.
RSS

October Garden Update 2013

Well, this update is a bit late. October is when we get our frost and hard freezes (and even snow) here in Indiana. Last year I was able to grow some lettuces under my cold frame into December. Unfortunatly, none of my greens sprouted. Boo. :(

I tried to cover my zucchini before our first frost, but the wind blew the sheet off it during the night and it did not survive.

Before frost:

 After frost:

I planted my garlic and mulched it over well with some leaves. See you in the spring!

My friend was gracious enough to give me a TON of apples from her family's trees. I canned a lot of applesauce and apple butter. Can't wait for my own little trees to produce some fruit!

Speaking of trees, aren't these beautiful?
 

My carrot harvest (Oct. 19) was the best ever! I was so excited. I'd say I harvested 28 lbs of carrots in all. After a good washing, I decided to try two methods of storage. The biggest carrots were stored in damp sand in a plastic bucket in the basement. The rest I sliced, blanched and froze. We'll see how they fare over the winter.


Some of these were HUGE:


Carrots in sand storage:

I'm already excited about making plans for next year. Some things I want to try again, others I will do differently and of course there are some new adventures to be had. Overall, a great year for my little garden. I kept a running total of the produce and estimated we grew about $170 of food. It will be interesting to see if I can beat that number next year. The fruits are the "heavy hitters," so with my raspberries, strawberries and apple trees, it should not be hard to surpass this year's total. Hopefully we can grow some watermelon as well and get some better zucchini production. That's 2013 in the books!

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment